Confirmation is a two year preparation program. A candidate must be an active member in previous Faith Formation classes (for at least one full year). To be a candidate to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation one must be Baptized in the Catholic Church and has received the Sacraments of Reconciliation and First Holy Communion.
Year 1 Confirmation: Typically begins in 8th grade. This class is currently a hybrid option using Google Classroom. Students are also required to attend monthly Youth Group meetings and participate in service projects.
Year 2 Confirmation: Typically begins in 9th grade and a candidate must have completed Year 1 before beginning Year 2. This program is required to meet in person by participating in monthly Confirmation classes as well as monthly Youth Group meetings.
For more information please contact the Faith Formation office by e-mail or phone
e-mail: [email protected]
Diocese of Rochester principles guiding sacramental preparation are as follows:
- All sacramental celebrations are actions of the gathered community.
- Parents are the primary educators of their children and are to be deeply involved in their children’s sacramental preparation. When a child prepares to celebrate a sacrament, the readiness of the family is a consideration.
- All preparation is based on readiness, not age or grade level.
- Children who have reached the age of reason (seven) must be given adequate basic catechesis so that their participation in the sacrament may be a free response of faith.
- Preparation is to be short and focused; the purpose is to prepare a person to receive a ritual.
- Preparation is grounded in ritual catechesis and includes prayer, Scripture reflection, faith sharing, and ritual celebration.
Sacramental Program Requirements
To be eligible to prepare and receive any sacrament in this parish,
- one must be a baptized Catholic and an actively participating, registered member of St. Mary Our Mother Church.
- One must have completed at least one year of religious education or Catholic school prior to the year the preparation for the sacrament begins.
- One must meet the readiness suggestions set forth by the policy for the Administration of Sacraments. ( A Guide for Parents is available in the Faith Formation Office.)