Sacramental Preparation For Youth
Year 1 Confirmation: Typically begins in 8th grade
Year 2 Confirmation: Typically begins in 9th grade (must have completed Year 1).
First Reconciliation: Typically begins in 2nd grade. Must be completed before receiving First Holy Communion.
First Holy Communion: Typically begins in 2nd Grade. Must complete First Holy Communion before receiving this sacrament.
Diocese of Rochester principles guiding sacramental preparation are as follows:
- All sacramental celebrations are actions of the gathered community.
- Parents are the primary educators of their children and are to be deeply involved in their children’s sacramental preparation. When a child prepares to celebrate a sacrament, the readiness of the family is a consideration.
- All preparation is based on readiness, not age or grade level.
- Children who have reached the age of reason (seven) must be given adequate basic catechesis so that their participation in the sacrament may be a free response of faith.
- Preparation is to be short and focused; the purpose is to prepare a person to receive a ritual.
- Preparation is grounded in ritual catechesis and includes prayer, Scripture reflection, faith sharing, and ritual celebration.
Sacramental Program Requirements
To be eligible to prepare and receive any sacrament in this parish,
- one must be a baptized Catholic and an actively participating, registered member of St. Mary Our Mother Church.
- One must have completed at least one year of religious education or Catholic school prior to the year the preparation for the sacrament begins.
- One must meet the readiness suggestions set forth by the policy for the Administration of Sacraments. ( A Guide for Parents is available in the Faith Formation Office.)