A Letter from Fr. Chris:
May 18, 2020
It seems so much longer than two months since we last celebrated a public Mass at St. Mary Our Mother. I little did I know that after I presided at the 6:45 a.m. Mass on Tuesday, March 17th, that two months later we would still be in a “pause” period. I have tried to use the parish website as a vehicle of communication while we are apart as a parish community,
We have moved the “updates and reminders” section to a separate article on the parish website. We will continue to update that section as they change.
Many of you have asked when will we return to our church building for Sunday Mass. There is no certain date when we might be able to have Mass in church and open to all. We now believe that all places of worship will be part of Phrase 4 of the New York State Reopening Process. This means that we might be able to have Mass in church beginning in July, but that is pure speculation on my part. I do know that our church experience will be different taking into consideration of the social distancing guidelines we will need to follow. We recently received a list of expectations for all worship sites that will need to be met before any opening can occur. Please be assured that we will be pastorally sensitive to the health of everyone. I ask that we continue to pray during this time as we prepare to resume our public Masses.
We have started to offer a Sunday Mass through our parish’s YouTube channel. Because our church is not equipped with “Wi-Fi,” we can’t “live-stream” these Masses, but will record them earlier in the week. You can find the link to these Masses on the parish website.
Thank you for your continued support and encouragement as we journey through these challenging days. I look forward to the day when we can gather at the Lord’s table!
Father Chris Linsler
UPDATES & REMINDERS
Here are some reminders of what is happening in the parish to help keep us together while we are apart as a parish community:
- Live Stream Masses: Please check our parish website for a listing of these Masses; www.StMaryOurMother.com. There are also resources available at the diocesan website—dor.org—as well.
- Chapel visits: The chapel is open for private prayer Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., and on Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Please practice appropriate social distancing strategies during your visit.
- Parish office: The office is closed, with many of our staff working remotely from home. If you have a non-emergency, please call 607-739-3817; this number is checked regularly.
- Emergencies with immediate need: Please call the above number; you call will be returned as soon as possible.
- Food donations: There continues to be a great need for food for the local pantries during this pandemic. Please bring your food donations and place them in the food cart in the vestibule.
- Financial contributions: Thank you for your generous financial support to St. Mary Our Mother during these difficult days. It is inspiring to know people realize this is your faith community and that your financial support is of utmost importance. You may mail your contributions to the parish office at 816 West Broad Street, Horseheads, New York 14845. There is also a box in the vestibule to receive your offering. You also may wish to check the parish website for online giving opportunities.
Run to Read!
A fun run for the whole family to help support St. Mary Our Mother School’s new ELA program and Chemung Valley Family Reading Partnership!
Pre-registration rate of $15.00/participant with a family max of $50.
Each participant will receive a free t-shirt and sunglasses.
Saturday May 16th, 2020 @ 11:00 AM
Location: Holding Point Recreation Complex, Wygant Rd, Horseheads
For more information contact us at SMOMfunrun@gmail.com
Or like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/...?
MAY 24, 2020 - St. Mary Our Mother Weekly Mass.
MAY 18, 2020 - Please see the most recent letter from our Pastor, Fr. Chris Linsler.
( ⇐ to the left)
Other recent letters and communications can be found here:
MAY 17, 2020 - St. Mary Our Mother launches weekly mass recording.
MARCH 23, 2020 - Please join your fellow parishoners in a Prayer of Solidarity.
MARCH 21, 2020 - Bishop Salvatore R. Matano has granted the faithful of the Diocese of Rochester a dispensation from the law of abstinence from meat on the Fridays of Lent for this year. For details, click here.
MARCH 16, 2020 - Effective immediately, the Diocese of Rochester has suspended all public masses. For details, please see the Statement to the Faithful from Bishop Salvatore Matano by clicking here.
In addition, all Parish and School activities are suspended until further notice.
All in-person Masses are currently suspended, but the recorded weekend SMOM Mass can be viewed below.
The Chapel of St. Mary Our Mother will be open for private prayer on the following days and times:
Daily: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Sundays: 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Check back frequently for
changes and updates.
The Parish Office is closed until further notice.
|816 West Broad Street
Horseheads, NY 14845
May 30, 2020 3:30 pm - 4:30 pmSt Mary Our Mother, 816 W Broad St, Horseheads, NY 14845, USA
May 30, 2020 5:00 pm - 6:00 pmSt Mary Our Mother, 816 W Broad St, Horseheads, NY 14845, USA
May 31, 2020 8:30 am - 9:30 amSt Mary Our Mother Church
May 31, 2020 10:30 am - 11:30 amSt Mary Our Mother Church
June 6, 2020 3:30 pm - 4:30 pmSt Mary Our Mother, 816 W Broad St, Horseheads, NY 14845, USA
June 6, 2020 5:00 pm - 6:00 pmSt Mary Our Mother, 816 W Broad St, Horseheads, NY 14845, USA
June 7, 2020 8:30 am - 9:30 amSt Mary Our Mother Church
June 7, 2020 10:30 am - 11:30 amSt Mary Our Mother Church